The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 07-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #1
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

One cannot buy a flat washer even with a penny nickel or dime. Why do useless coins exist? A Congress with too many extremists - not moderates who can make intelligent decisions.

A dime once bought a Coke. Even a dollar bill is insufficient. A dime was what a $1 bill is today. Why do we still have paper $1 and $5 bills? So many extremists who so hate America by not thinking for themselves. Even threaten the Constitutional rights of others by not wearing a mask - because Trump said it is unnecessary. Conservative: he knows it must be true because Trump said so. We all need guns to protect what Trump says. A penny was good enough. So it will always be necessary.

We spend about $1 billion annually making ridiculous paper $1 bills. Directly traceable to extremists who supported Bernie Sanders and Donald Trump. People who know because a Central Committee of the Party (ie Fox News) has ordered us what to think.

How hard is it to eliminate a penny? How hard is it to eliminate the paper $1 and $5 bills? Same logic also proved Saddam had WMDs. "I was told what to believe. So it must be true."| Let's attack China. That will solve everything. Propaganda said so. It must be true.

"I know because I am a conservative."

"Beam me up Scotti. There's no intelligent life down here any more." How curious. Even he is now in space.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Please Scotti. Please.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

God yes, Scotti, take the raving lunatic away, he's trying to make everything more expensive and every purchase traceable by the government.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
tw

Once upon a time (some decades ago), smallest denomination was a dime. So a soda cost a $1 (a dime in those day). Now that we have 0.1 and 0.5 cent denominations (called the penny and nickel), soda costs more than $1. We also waste a $billion every year foolishly making paper dollar bills. We know costs are higher because extremists love to 'wreck shit' by doing nothing. Even use pervert reasoning to claim otherwise.
Old 07-27-2020, 05:11 PM   #5
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Once upon a time (some decades ago), smallest denomination was a dime. ...

... Now that we have 0.1 and 0.5 cent [sic] denominations (called the penny and nickel), ...
US 1¢ coins have been minted since 1793. US 5¢ coins have been minted since 1866 and before that Half Dimes were minted since 1794.

You're intertwining denominations with legal tender status. US 1¢ and 5¢ coins didn't become legal tender until 1873 (over a century ago). The total amount they were legal tender for was limited though.

It was the Coinage Act of 1965 ("some decades ago") that codified legal tender status for all US circulating coins without limit.

The US 1¢ and 5¢ denominations previously existed as have 1/2¢, 2¢, 3¢ and Half Dime denominations for periods of time in the past.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Did you mean a dime and a half dollar?
Old 07-27-2020, 05:48 PM   #7
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

An extremely useful question that should be asked by everyone several times a day is "Cui bono?". Who benefits?
When the price of something is $.99 instead of a dollar, you might wonder is the merchant is fooling you or are you fooling yourself to think there is a difference.
But the real question is: Who benefits?

All the coins we have to use instead of even money is good for somebody, just not us.

Anyone ever clerk at a store where every cash register had a well worn tax table? You had to follow down the column of the total of taxable items to find the rounded-off break set at the current percentage rate to add to the total that would eventually be backfigured to pay the franchise boards.
WTF benefited from that? We still do it most everywhere except the cash register steals the money without the hassle.
I remember marveling on trips to England how everything came out even, no small change (coins) involved.
Cui bono?
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:24 PM   #8
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim View Post
I remember marveling on trips to England how everything came out even, no small change (coins) involved.
In London in dark bars, it can be too much trouble to take out glasses to read those numbers. I would throw some coins on the bar and ask a bar tender to take what she needed. She would select a few coins. It only took maybe two coins to buy a pint of beer - because their currency has value.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
glatt

Meanwhile at Arecibo Observatory
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #10
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Ow, my giant ear!

That's gonna cost at least a hunderd dang dollars.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

Hella mess.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:54 AM   #12
sexobon

Meanwhile in Bolivia...

Bolivia's lawmakers have approved 'Miracle Mineral Solution' — a toxic bleach — as a treatment for COVID-19. Only the president can stop it becoming law

... A bill legalizing a form of toxic bleach as a miracle cure as a COVID-19 treatment has been approved by the lower house of Bolivia's legislature.

According to local media reports, the country's Legislative Assembly approved the bill, which had already passed the Bolivian Senate.

It allows for the "production, commercialization and supply of chlorine dioxide solution to prevent COVID-19 and as a treatment for sick patients."

Chlorine dioxide is a type of industrial bleach commonly used as a disinfectant, or to bleach paper products. In recent years a movement of conspiracy theorists and alternative medicine advocates have hailed it as a miracle cure capable of curing virtually any illness.

They call it "Miracle Mineral Solution," or MMS.

The movement is fast gaining influence in Latin America, where countries including Bolivia are struggling to cope with the coronavirus pandemic.

Bolivia's own ministry of health has warned against taking the substance. In a June statement it said that medical regulators in the country had not approved the substance as a treatment for COVID-19 or any other illness. ...

... It cited multiple advisories by the Food and Drug Administration in the US, which says it has recorded reports of "severe vomiting, severe diarrhea, life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration and acute liver failure after drinking these products."

Both houses of the Bolivian parliament are controlled by the left-wing MAS party, which also used to control the presidency.

However, following the ouster of MAS president Evo Morales last year after allegations of election fraud, the presidency is currently held by the caretaker government of conservative Jeanine Añez.

The passing of the bill sets up a confrontation between Añez and Bolivia's legislature weeks before the country's delayed presidential election, scheduled for October 18.

Sergio Verdugo, an Associate Professor of Universidad del Desarrollo Law School, Chile, told Business Insider that under the Bolivian constitution, Añez can either ratify or veto the bill. But if she decides to veto it the legislative assembly can override the presidential veto by an "absolute majority" of legislators present when the vote takes place. ...
Old 08-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

To be fair, it does kill infection. It just also happens to kill you.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
sexobon

To be fair, you can buy chlorine dioxide solution on Amazon to disinfect water for drinking; or, make potable water suitable for long term storage up to 5 years.

It depends on the concentrations used.

The article is a little sensationalized.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #15
Ibby
erika

but MMS specifically is a scam sold by jim humble, a lifelong conman and erstwhile scientologist, and MMS is specifically linked to a bunch of deaths, because it is often at FAR higher concentrations than are safe, because the safe concentrations of bleach are very very very low. it also doesnt help with covid, but this guy has been hawking poison for profit for years and like, has killed kids with his nonsense poison water. this stuff is like black salve or cyanide apricot level of scamming-sick-people grifting