The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bottom lands of the Missoula floods
Posts: 6,402
Ummm.... that's from the NY Post
- not to be confused with the NY Times or the Washington Post
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bottom lands of the Missoula floods
Posts: 6,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Ummm.... that's from the NY Post
- not to be confused with the NY Times or the Washington Post

International Business Times
Ellen Killoran
April 16 2013 3:54 PM

One Day After Boston Bombing, New York Post Has Not Retracted
Presumably Incorrect Reports Of Death Toll And Saudi Suspect

Quote:
On Monday afternoon, the New York Post published a dramatic report
that was widely aggregated and shared by thousands:
The Rupert Murdoch-owned tabloid claimed that 12 people were killed by explosions
at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, and that a suspect
-- a Saudi Arabian male -- was being questioned at a Boston hospital.

At the time of the report, Boston Police officials were reporting a death toll of two
(which has since been raised to three); the Post was the first to report that any suspects were in custody.

As the story began to circulate widely on Twitter
-- with little corroboration from more-reputable news sources -- skepticism grew. <snip>

But the Post refused to acknowledge any errors in reporting,
even after a spokesperson for the Boston Police Department told
Talking Points Memo that no suspects had been taken into custody.

"Honestly, I don't know where they're getting their information from,
but it didn't come from us," the spokesperson said.
<snip>
From my readings of various news articles, a Saudi student has now been exonerated.
He was a runner in the marathon... injured by the 1st bomb...
and was tackled by a bystander who "thought he was acting suspiciously".
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 71,105
The CBS TV reporter on the scene, about 4:30 or so, mentioned the guy being tackled because he was running away from the blast, quickly pointing out so was everyone else. He said the guy was cooperative will the police and not arrested. Just a case of an over zealous bystander.
__________________
The descent of man ~ Nixon, Friedman, Reagan, Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 71,105
Here's a showing of compassion by the people of Boston.
__________________
The descent of man ~ Nixon, Friedman, Reagan, Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 71,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplighter View Post
Ummm.... that's from the NY Post
- not to be confused with the NY Times or the Washington Post
Yeah, they lie sometimes.
Attached Images
 
__________________
The descent of man ~ Nixon, Friedman, Reagan, Trump.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2025, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.